David Ogden Stiers - Does He Hate Mash?
Gumbo ...
2004-06-25 07:44:48 UTC
I got to thinking today when I was watching Mash on DVD and begin
thinking of how David Ogden Stiers doesn't like to sign autographs...
No big deal because a lot of actors don't like to sign as well...

Few hours later... I turned on the radio and the DJ was talking to
Anthony Michael Hall who has worked with David Ogden Stiers... The DJ
said he has spoken with David Ogden Stiers before and David Ogden
Stiers refers to Mash as the "Green Show" and doesn't like to talk
about the show...

I also noticed that David Ogden Stiers isn't in any of the specials
and wasn't at the Today's Show interview... So does David Ogden Stiers
hate Mash?

I know some actors can get sick and tired of talking about a show they
were on but he seems to take it extreme and won't even acknowledge he
was on the show... I mean if he dislikes it that much then why did he
do the show in the first place and stay as long as he did?
ShandaRose
2004-06-25 08:27:35 UTC
DOS was in the 30th anniversary special a couple years ago, but you are right
-- he doesn't seem to want to acknowledge the show. Perhaps his position is
that it was when he wasn't well-known and he is better known for Disney voices,
Dead Zone, the occasional part in television or movies (Frasier last year being
an example) and for his directing of orchestras.

Bad habits are like a comfortable bed -- easy to get into, but hard to get out
of.

Peace, all!
Shanda
RON H
2004-06-25 16:23:08 UTC
DOS is my favorite he played in perry mason movies oh he was also on the
cbs memories of mash in 91
RJ
He should be prouder of MASH than most of the crap he's been in since.
MEEdmo42
2004-06-25 17:24:14 UTC
Post by RJ
He should be prouder of MASH than most of the crap he's been in since.
He was very good in The Majestic with Jim Carrey. Anyone see that?

Mary E.
Gumbo ...
2004-06-26 03:52:55 UTC
I also noticed that unless I missed it... He never wrote or directed
an episode of Mash...

Get the feeling like he was just there doing a job and not really
proud of being on a hit show...
ESolomonso
2004-06-26 05:45:30 UTC
Gumbo ...
2004-06-26 20:43:40 UTC
Date: 6/25/2004 11:52 PM Eastern Standard Time
I also noticed that unless I missed it... He never wrote or directed
an episode of Mash...
Neither did Linville or Swit and a few others.
Forgot to comment on this from before... Linville, Swit and others may
have not written or directed but they were open to doing interviews
and talking about their work they did on Mash...

DOS is more the type of saying it's a show I was on for such and such
years... Next question?

Like once Mash went off the air... DOS remained like CEW...
ESolomonso
2004-06-26 21:30:48 UTC
Date: 6/26/2004 4:43 PM Eastern Standard Time
Post by ESolomonso
Post by Gumbo ...
I also noticed that unless I missed it... He never wrote or directed
an episode of Mash...
Neither did Linville or Swit and a few others.
Forgot to comment on this from before... Linville, Swit and others may
have not written or directed but they were open to doing interviews
and talking about their work they did on Mash...
Point taken.
DOS is more the type of saying it's a show I was on for such and such
years... Next question?
And again, point taken.
Like once Mash went off the air... DOS remained like CEW...
I know I wrote that he was "Just like DOS," but I meant he's just like CEW. My
typo.

Eddie
======================================
If you need me, I won't be anywhere.
Gumbo ...
2004-06-26 20:47:52 UTC
Post by ESolomonso
Gumbo, I wanted to tell you that I didn't mean to offend you with my post and
the DVD's.
When you wrote that scenes are re-added, I took that to mean the missing scenes
were spliced back in.
Not offended at all and just a mix of mis-communication... I usually
mean when scenes are re-added... I usually mean never seen since the
episode have been going into syndication and what is usually shown on
TV...

But glad we cleared it up... =)
KJ Forrest
2004-06-26 10:19:23 UTC
Post by Gumbo ...
I also noticed that unless I missed it... He never wrote or directed
an episode of Mash...
Identity Crisis
That Darn Kid
t***@yahoo.com
2005-02-09 15:17:53 UTC
David has said that he doesn't hate MASH and he is grateful for the
opportunites it gave him. he just finds it frustrating when thats all
people ever talk about with him. I don't blame him really. MASH was 20
years ago and he's done other great things since then. Anyone would get
annoyed if people constantly went on about something they had done in
the past. David's only human.

As for his signing autographs that is his decision. He has the right to
live his life how he wants and not sign autographs. He shouldn't be
critcised for it. A lot of people have said he's a lovely guy and will
spend time talking to his fans and as one of them I would rather that
to his name on a peice of paper that could have been written by anyone.
Ed
2005-02-09 17:20:41 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
annoyed if people constantly went on about something they had done in
the past. David's only human.
Larry Gelbart is still being asked if Henry Blake was killed because he left
the show. He answers this question every time it's asked and countless other
questions asked countless times.

Paul McCartney is still explaining how "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" came about.

Not everyone gets annoyed at the same questions.
w***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2005-02-17 22:48:42 UTC
Post by Ed
Not everyone gets annoyed at the same questions.
So people vary. Some people -- I am one of them -- just can't stand it.

wg
D. Gordon
2005-02-18 09:10:40 UTC
That DOS cannot be bothered signing his name on a piece of paper shows
he has a problem.
PAUL GADZIKOWSKI
2005-02-18 16:14:26 UTC
D. Gordon <***@webtv.net> wrote:
: That DOS cannot be bothered signing his name on a piece of paper shows
: he has a problem.

It's not that he can't be bothered. It's that he reserves it for
charitable causes. That's not unreasonable. Or, if in your opinion it is,
that's your opinion which differs from his.

Paul Gadzikowski, ***@iglou.com since 1995
http://www.arthurkingoftimeandspace.com New cartoons daily.

"The producer throws a four-pound ball."
TheMajorsMrs
2005-02-18 13:40:59 UTC
Post by w***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Ed
Not everyone gets annoyed at the same questions.
So people vary. Some people -- I am one of them -- just can't stand it.
wg
Neither can I. David has said that nearly every interview he's done
people have tried to mention MASH. Imagine if someone kept mentioning
a school play you were in when you were 10, 20 years after the event.
David Brunt
2005-02-18 14:00:30 UTC
Post by TheMajorsMrs
Neither can I. David has said that nearly every interview
he's done people have tried to mention MASH. Imagine
if someone kept mentioning a school play you were in
when you were 10, 20 years after the event.
But something on which he worked for six years is a far bigger part of
his career than one or two performances of a school play. Tired or
not, he shouldn't be at all surprised to have people want to talk
about the biggest success of his career.

After all, how many people would want to talk about his three episodes
of The Mary Tyler Moore Show or the like? It's like people
interviewing Ronald Reagan about "Bedtime for Bonzo" and not wanting
to talk about his time as President. Does he tire of talking about
his voice work on the Disney cartoons, which took a day or two
recording? He'll still be talking about that in years to come.

Still, a lot of actors don't want to talk about their old work, it's
their prerogative. Stiers is not a huge publicity-seeker and his
decision must be accepted.

David
Gumbo ...
2005-02-20 13:53:41 UTC
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:00:30 -0000, "David Brunt"
It's like people interviewing Ronald Reagan about "Bedtime for Bonzo"
and not wanting to talk about his time as President. Does he tire of talking
about his voice work on the Disney cartoons, which took a day or two
recording? He'll still be talking about that in years to come.
Still, a lot of actors don't want to talk about their old work, it's
their prerogative. Stiers is not a huge publicity-seeker and his
decision must be accepted.
David
If you can conduct an interview with Ronald Reagan today... I would
pay good money to see that...

Ed
2005-02-18 18:11:54 UTC
Post by TheMajorsMrs
Post by w***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Ed
Not everyone gets annoyed at the same questions.
So people vary. Some people -- I am one of them -- just can't stand it.
wg
Neither can I. David has said that nearly every interview he's done
people have tried to mention MASH. Imagine if someone kept mentioning
a school play you were in when you were 10, 20 years after the event.
Well, David also said, and I agree, this is no school play.
The fact that people still want to talk about something done years ago
should make him feel pretty good.
I wonder how DOS would feel if nobody ever mentioned MASH, as if nobody was
interested in the work he did.
I respect his decision to reserve his autographs for charity. Swit does
something similar. But he doesn't have to be boorish about it when people
ask about MASH. This is what gave him his platform to do other things and he
was a big part of the show.
TheMajorsMrs
2005-02-19 13:28:49 UTC
Post by Ed
Post by TheMajorsMrs
Post by w***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Ed
[...]
Mr Stiers is no publicity seeker and people should leave him to make
his own decisions. I spent two years studying Equality and Rights and
let's not forget David's rights.
Ed
2005-02-19 18:12:44 UTC
We still have a right to ask, as much as his right to decline comment.
TheMajorsMrs
2005-02-20 11:25:54 UTC
Post by Ed
Post by TheMajorsMrs
Mr Stiers is no publicity seeker and people should leave him to make
his own decisions. I spent two years studying Equality and Rights and
let's not forget David's rights.
We still have a right to ask, as much as his right to decline comment.
Yes we do and yes he still does. He shouldn't be criticised if he
declines to comment. I can see where you're coming from but then I can
also see where he's coming from